Dahl Class Year 2
Welcome to Year 2 Dahl Class!
Year 2's day is from 8:45am - 3:15pm and they come through the Key Stage 2 door.
Year 2 can also attend Maths Club in the school hall from 8:20am.
You can use this page of the website to find out about Year 2's weekly timetable, what we have been learning about during the current term and find out what each week's homework is.
Homework and Reading books should be in school everyday. The Reading books will be checked everyday and the Homework folders will be checked on a Friday. Wednesday will also be PE days so please ensure that your child comes to school with their hair tied up, trainers in their bags and if possible earrings are removed.
We will also add details, pictures and links to the fun activities we have been taking part in.
We hope the children will have a fantastic year with us in Year 2.
If you have any questions please do come and see us.
Miss Orpin and Mrs Manwaring.
Find Year 2's Yearly Plan, Timetable and Long Term plans below:
Term 2 Topic Maps:
This term in English we are reading:
- "Man on the Moon (a day in the life of Bob)" by Simon Bartram.
- "Look Up” by Nathan Bryon.
Please DO NOT read these books with your children as it will ruin the slow build up and surprise we use in our English lessons. If you would like to read a similar book, or a book to aid their learning around our topic, to your child then this term I would recommend:
- "Space" by Heather Alexander and Andres Lozano.
- “The Way Back Home” by Oliver Jeffers.
- "Space Kids. An Introduction for Young Explorers" by Andrea De Santis and Steve Parker.
- "The Skies Above My Eyes" by Charlotte Guillain and Yuval Zommer.
- "Professor Astro Cat's Solar System" by Dominic Walliman and Ben Newman.
- "The Story of Stars" by Neal Layton.
- "Look Up!" by Nathan Byron and Dapo Adeola.
- "Astro Girl" by Ken Wilson-Max.
- "Toys in Space" by Mini Grey.
- "Beegu" by Alexis Deacon.
- "Wanda and the Alien" by Sue Hendra.
- "Here Comes the Aliens" by Colin McNaughton.
- "Wonderful Life" by Helen Ward.
- "Dr Xargle's Book of Earthlings" by Jeanne Willis and Tony Ross.
- "The Earth Book: A World of Exploration and Wonder" by Jonathon Litton and Thomas Hegbrook.
- "Earth from Space" by Michael Bright and Chloe Sarosh.
- "Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth" by Oliver Jeffers.
- "Planetarium: Welcome to the Museum" by Raman Prinja and Chris Wormell.
Lest we forget.
Term 1 Topic Maps:
This term in English we are reading:
"The Jolly Postman" by Janet & Allan Ahlberg.
"The Last Wolf" by Mini Grey.
Please DO NOT read these books with your children as it will ruin the slow build up and surprise we use in our English lessons.
If you would like to read a similar book ,or a book to aid their learning around our topic, to your child then this term I would recommend:
- "Katie Morag Delivers the Mail" by Mairi Hedderwick.
- "Dear Mother Goose" by Michael Rosen.
- "Dear Fairy Godmother" by Michael Rosen.
- "Mixes Up Fairytales" by Hilary Robinson
- "Each Peach Pear Plum" by Janet & Alan Ahlberg.
- "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book?" by Lauren Child.
- "Beware the Storybook Wolves" by Lauren Child.
- "I am so Strong" by Mario Ramos.
- "Goldilocks and Just the One Bear" by Leigh Hodgkinson.
- “My First Nursery Collection” by Tony Ross.
- “Mr Wolf’s Pancakes” by Jan Fearnley.
- “The Way Home for Wolf” by Rachel Bright and Jim Field.
- “Wolf Won’t Bite!” by Emily Gravett.
- “The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig” by Eugene Trivizas and Helen Oxenbury.
You could also read any of these Stories:
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears
- Hansel and Gretel
- Sleeping Beauty
- Jack and the Beanstalk
- East of the Sun
- West of the Moon
- The Little Mermaid
- Peter Piper
- Little Red Riding Hood
- Three Little Pigs
- Mother Goose
Or any of these rhymes:
- Old King Cole
- Incy Wincey Spider
- There was an Old Woman who lived in a Shoe
- Hey Diddle Diddle
- Simple Simon
- There was a Crooked Man
- Little Jack Horner
- Eeny, Meeny, Miny Mo
- Humpty Dumpty
- Jack and Jill
- The Queen of Hearts
- Sing a Song of Sixpence
- Little Miss Muffet
- Pat a Cake
- Baby Bunting
- Three Blind Mice
- Baa Baa Black Sheep
Check out some of our favourite Maths games to play!